HOW TO TAME A “WILD MAN” BEARD
(SO YOU DON’T LOOK LIKE A WOLF AT WORK)
Whether you are new to the world of growing a beard, or you just returned from a weeks-long camping trip in the Adirondacks, you’re scaring your mother because your crazy beard makes you look like an axe murderer. What should you do about this beard? After all, you do not want to go for a job interview or meet a new client looking like a prison escapee.
Here is how to tame a “wild man” beard so you don’t look like a wolf at work:
First of all, potentially just give it some time. If you are just starting to grow out your beard, the beard may need time to find its own rhythm. Combing or brushing your beard once daily can also, for obvious reasons, train the hairs to go in the right direction, plus the brushing process feels amazing for your face.
If things are still out of line after these tactics, consider getting out the scissors and/or razor to do cleanup work. The proper use of thinning shears also help bring unruly beards back to order. Pay attention to what works and what does not work, so you will have the information in your back pocket the next time your beard gets wild.
In terms of products, beard wax may be your ideal solution. Beard wax is kind of like pomade for the beard. It adds shape or hold to a beard. The best pomades contain organic materials that have been effectively blended and tested. Avoid overly synthetic or unctuous products, which can feel (and look) heavy and can cause itchiness in sensitive individuals.
Applying wax can help even beards that are otherwise well maintained – as wooly/long beards – by shaping the beard aesthetics and preventing stray hairs or frizz from causing long term irritation.
Grooming a beard properly is a multi-step process. Here are a few “best practices” you might commit to memory:
- WASHING IT AND KEEPING IT CLEAN. Remove dirt, debris and dried skin, and then gently towel dry.
- KEEP YOUR NECKLINE CLEAN. With shorter beards, unkempt and unshaven neck hair will ruin an otherwise dashing appearance.
- OIL THE BEARD WITH A NOURISHING PRODUCT. Our grandfathers and great-grandfathers knew that proper beard care requires the application of beard oil. Massage it in with your fingers and work the oil from the base of the hairs out.
- APPLY TONIC. A refreshing tonic makes the hair supple and leaves you feeling fresh and smelling great.
- WAX ATTACK. As mentioned above, application of wax can help you style and shape your beard or mustache.
- Taken together, this regimen can tame practically any “wild man” beard.
Keeping your beard looking good for the office is not rocket science. But no matter what look you go for – dapper or rugged – be sure to own it. Exude confidence, and people will respond positively.